Monday, January 02, 2006

Amazon.com should not store all this information about me


I went to shop at Amazon again after a long time - like a year or so. The checkout experience was downright creepy:
- First of all, it still remembered an old credit card number that has long since expired.
- Then it had *every single address* I've ever lived in in the US, and some of my friends' addresses too.
- Finally, it offered me desi cookbooks on the way out, since I had bought one many years ago for a friend... Ugh!

They should definitely not store any information that's older than a few months. Outdated user information does not improve usability. The more people they keep data on, the higher the risk in case of a hacker attack.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?