Wednesday, March 12, 2003
Should India lose to New Zealand now?
Now that it is certain that India plays Kenya in the semi-finals, should they lose to New Zealand in their last Super Six game? I think it is fair to assume that the unmotivated Zimbabweans will lose to Sri Lanka. The question then is: whom does India want Australia to play in the semi-finals: Sri Lanka or New Zealand? Let's look at both sides of the issue:
Australia vs New Zealand
- Shane Bond did very well to demolish the Aussie batting, and he can do the same again
- Fleming may be able to work his magic on the Aussies on a better pitch
- The New Zealanders just seem to be a better outfit than the Sri Lankans
Australia vs Sri Lanka
- If Jayasuriya recovers properly, the Sri Lankans still are a much better batting side than New Zealand
- The Australians will be less fired up to beat the Sri Lankans compared to the New Zealanders (okay, I'm stretching this a bit)
- The Australians seem a bit scared of the Lankans on the Port Elizabeth pitch, but that may just be Glenn McGrath gaming the Indians
Okay, here's looking at it from the Indian angle. Should they lose to New Zealand?
- By losing willfully, they will be doing the viewers a big injustice
- In case India and New Zealand make it to the final, the New Zealanders will have more crap to sledge India's way
On balance, it seems like the Indians should just go out there and play tough - take some chances maybe - and try to beat New Zealand. Shane Bond notwithstanding, the Indians do look like the better team on paper.